Can you help those with mental illness rise above their struggle?
Mental illnesses can affect persons of any age, race, religion, or income. Mental health disorders are not the result of personal weakness, lack of character, or poor upbringing. Mental illnesses are treatable. Most people diagnosed with a serious mental illness can experience relief from their symptoms by actively participating in an individual treatment plan. With supporters like you, Independence Center has served more than 3,000 Members since opening our doors in 1989. The most common disorders our Members are faced with include bi-polar disorder, major depressive disorder, anxiety disorder, and schizophrenia, or other psychotic disorders.
1 in Every 5 Adults are Affected by Mental Illness
- 56% of American adults with a mental illness do not receive treatment.
- Each day an estimated 18-22 veterans die by suicide based on mental illness.
- 90% of suicide victims have an underlying mental illness.
- Adults with mental illness die an average of 25 yrs earlier, largely due to treatable conditions.
- 50% of adults battling addiction have a co-occurring mental illness, about 10 million.
- 26% of homeless adults live with a serious mental illness.
- Mental Illness doesn't care about the color of skin, religious/political affiliation or household income.
Your generous gift will help us fund our mission. Thank you for giving the gift of independence.